Mission Viejo, CA 92692
sheer-pullen at sheer.us
* Wrote a application to implement a expert system on a number of platforms that walks users through emergancy medical protocols based on simple yes/no answers. Application gets protocol logic out of a XML file and audio prompting out of OGG files. * Wrote a application in Perl to parse a complex XML file into a simple XML file and convert WAV files to OGG and AMR files and build a windows installer script to copy the appropriate files to a PDA * Wrote a application in java to run on a MIDP-2.0 mobile phone and display menus and prompts based on a XML file. The application also plays audio prompts that are stored in AMR files * Wrote a complex windowing UI in Laszlo, including objects to communicate with a Pick database and retreive order and user information, objects to display graphs and alerts, and objects to permit configuration * Rewrote significant portions of a Flex whiteboard application. Changed the application to use STOMP instead of FDS for messaging, to support a event-driven mouse driver system with callbacks and binding, and to support using a database-driven message storage system * Developed a proof of concept Flex application that loads as a transparent overlay over a web page and allows annotation of that web page * Rewrote Codehaus's open-source STOMP client in Flex, adding significant functionality including the ability to receive channelized messages, and the ability to send and receive binary messages including objects * Wrote a automated email document converter in perl that can take emailed files in DOC, XLS, BMP, GIF, JPG, and several other formats and convert them all to SWF files that can be viewed in any web browser, and email a link back to the sender. * Wrote a number of database access scripts in php to feed xml data to a Flex application * Configured a number of Ubuntu linux servers to act as web servers, database servers, and application servers * Configured a pick database to use a ramdisk for all data storage and optimized it in several other ways, improving the time for a complex data sort operation from 2 days to 4 hours. * Wrote scripts to automatically maintain CIFS/Samba mounts * Maintained several Linux servers running RainingData's d3 non-relational database engine * Wrote scripts to monitor the health of d3, Linux, and the IO subsystem of linux to help troubleshoot and improve performance of D3 * Wrote a D3/SMTP gateway
* Wrote two applications for Atmel AVR microcontrollers to build advanced multiplexed interrupt-driven UARTs, with data logging to flash memory * Wrote three applications for Windows CE to support downloading transaction data, auditing, programming, and otherwise manipulating electronic parking meters
* Wrote application in VBA to assist in sorting of assets to be distributed to franchise stores
* Converted several databases from a proprietary, non documented format to a format used by a open source web store * Wrote and modified a number of php scripts to support functionality desired by evparts.com * Configured firewall, mail server, file server, and other core functionality for evparts.com
* Designed and helped implement a redundant network of web and application servers using MySQL, Resin, Apache, and F5 BIGiP load balancers. * Wrote scripts to modify the normal failover behavior of the F5 load balancers, and perform extended service checks on databases. * Wrote a modified version of RealAudio's g2slta (simulated live transfer agent) that chose which clips to play based on information stored in a database, and sent URL events at configurable times, including in the middle of clips. * Assisted in the porting of RealAudio plugins from Windows (MFC) to Linux.
* Designed and helped implement a streaming network capable of delivering 10,000 simultaneous on-demand streams from a 2.1Tbyte SAN using Sistena Softare's Global File System. * Authored software to protect against unauthorized streaming and aid metrics collection by using tokenized URLs. (single threaded unix daemon that interfaced to a modified Samba server) * Authored software to process RealAudio and Windows Media streaming logs and give comprehensive metrics reports. * Designed and maintained Oracle and MySQL databases. * Configured and maintained BigIP load balancers and Extreme switches, including advanced troubleshooting of packet loss and latency issues, and advanced (OSPF) routing configuration. * Modified CGI scripts to improve searches and joins of a 3 table X 1.5 million row database. Improved search speeds from 2s to 150ms. * Assisted in maintaining the internal network, including configuring Cisco Pix firewalls, Linux firewalls, Cisco routers, dual-horizon name servers, mail servers, Samba servers, and a host of other minor administration tasks. * Wrote a trouble-ticket tracking system for the tracking of internal and external problems.
* Wrote application in MFC C++ to take data from a Access database and send it over a serial port to a handheld micro, and vice versa, including support for a multi-micro serial bus * Wrote application in ANSI C to run on a NEC V20 based handheld micro (Husky FS/2) to collect data from parking meters through a infrared interface, and store them on a solid state disk for retrieval through a protocol and application mentioned above. * Reverse engineered a existing application to figure out how to communicate with a series of parking meters.
* Designed and implemented mail, news, radius authentication, DNS, and communication methodologies ("glue") to enable all these services to be tied to a central registration server. * Maintained a mail server with over 40,000 active accounts, and over 100,000 dormant ones. Performed upgrades as necessary. * Implemented and maintained two news servers, first on DEC AlphaServers with individual volumes, and then on Sun UltraSparcs with MTI fiberchannel RAID arrays. * Assisted in the training of system administrators. * Assisted in the training of technical support staff, and wrote a training manual for technical support staff. * Debugged T1, OC3, and T1 frame relay lines over twisted pair, coax, and fiber connections. * Wrote and maintained simple CGI scripts for client web sites. * Assisted in the administration, backup, and maintenance of several web servers. * Located and fixed several severe security holes, both in locally authored software and in off-the-shelf software. * Administered several AIX machines providing a variety of services * Installed and configured Gauntlet, Altavista, and FWTK firewalls. * Helped design and implement a modern Network Operations Center (NOC) * Designed and implemented a high-capacity automated backup system, including building a secondary network, configuring Legato and several tape robots, and installing network clients on WinNT, OSF/1, AIX, and Linux as well as database backup clients for Oracle and MS SQL server.
* Handled 50-60 calls a day, assisting clients with a wide variety of printer and sound card issues.
* Supervised a staff of 6 junior technicians, repairing and upgrading 5-10 PCs a day. * Designed and implemented Novell and Windows For Workgroups LANs using a variety of physical link layers.
* C - 12 years - DOS, unix, and MCU * C++ - 6 years, both MFC (windows) and unix * CGI - 6 years, Perl and C and java and php * Flex - 1.5 years * PHP - 5 years * AVR assembly - 2 years * PIC assembly - 2 years * Classic BASIC - 1 year * HTML - 9 years * Java - 2 years * Laszlo - 6 months * Perl - 7 years * Pick TCL - 1 year, administration * Shell scripting (Bash/Tcl) - 7 years * SQL (MS SQL/Oracle/Mysql/PostGres) - 8 years * Tcl/Tk - 1 year * VBA/Visual Basic - 2 years
* Apache - 7 years * IIS - 2 years * Innd (news) - 2 years * Mysql (administration) - 6 years * Named (BIND) - 5 years * Oracle (administration) - 2 years * Pick/D3 (administration) - 1 year * Real Audio Servers - 2 years * Sendmail - 6 years * Qmail - 2 years * Windows Media Servers - 2 years
* AIX - 2 years * IRIX - 2 years * Linux - 9 years as a sysadmin, 12 years as a user * Novell - 1 year [administration only] * OSF/1 (DEC unix) - 2 years * SCO unix - 1 year [administration only] * HPUX - 1 year * Solaris - 4 years as a sysadmin, 6 years as a user * VMS - 4 years as a user * Windows 3.1/3.11 - 4 years * Windows 95/98 - 2 years * Windows 2000 - 5 years * Windows NT - 3 years * Windows XP - 2 years
* Hardware/software design and integration - 2 years * PCB layout - 1 year * Analog/digital interface design and implementation - 3 years * Hard disk based multitrack audio recording, mixing, and editing - 6 years (approximately 23 tracks) * Electric vehicle design and implementation - 3 years
* Metertrax CE - a flexible, configurable plugin-based application for querying, auditing, programming, and servicing parking meters. Written in C++ for Windows CE * Novatrans CE - a series of plugins for downloading transactions from parking meters and uploading them via HTTP post to web servers. Written in C++ for Windows CE * Metersync - a plugin for ActiveSync to support the internal database format of the above applications and ODBC databases on the desktop * G2slta - a multithreaded simulated live transfer agent for RealAudio that collected information about what clips and events to play and send out of a SQL database, and logged clip play times into a SQL database. * Filed - a single threaded nonblocking file system access control daemon Designed to give any service that can mount a CIFS filesystem one-off tokenized URLS. * ICM - software for the AtMega8 that implements timer-based task switching, two software UARTS, a software RTC, complex power management, storage to a external flash filesystem, and a bootloader that will accept direct upload of a binhex file. * Metrix - a complete suite for parsing, splitting into various customers, and analyzing log files. Written in ANSI C and perl * Menu - a interactive menuing application for querying, auditing, programming, and servicing parking meters. Written in ANSI C, compiles clean for DOS. Can be run on very lightweight computers. Includes hardware-based interrupt driven serial and infrared IO. * TroubledTimes - a web-based trouble-ticket processing system, complete with a automated mail gateway, search capacities, and a host of other features. Written in Perl. * Uptrax/Downtrax - a interactive application for downloading and uploading data from Menu, mentioned above, into a Access database. Written in C++ using MFC. * Safetymate - a expert system for several platforms. Includes a windows CE version based on OGG audio files and a j2me version based on AMR files, as well as a web version written in OpenLaszlo. All versions read a XML file which contains a decision tree and display a series of menus and play audio clips to walks users through emergancy protocols. * SheerMail - a SQL based, high performance, automatic indexing distributed mail system. One P-III running linux can serve 8192 simultaneous transmit/receive channels at 20Kb/s per channel. (In tests, performance was limited by disk bandwidth to about 1500 channels). Supports POP3, IMAPv4, and SMTP.
* EW-Too - modified in too many ways to list * PgMarket - modified in too many ways to list. * Gated - modified to read OSPF routes out of a SQL table. * Sendmail - modified to read DB lookups (virtuser, etc) out of a SQL table. * University of Washington Imapd/Popd - modified to use SQL database for indexing of inbox rather than winding through disk, and to do user lookups through SQL database. * Procmail - modified to write indexing information into a SQL database while writing to mail to disk. * Radiusd - modified to read DB lookups out of a SQL table. * Samba - Server modified to interface with Filed (see above), client modified to not cache file data between sessions. * Loughborough University Wbd (whiteboard software) - modified to send and receive on different ports instead of the same one, to permit the sending of pdf files, and to permit changing the active page over the network.